Full program description
Gain the expertise to develop and oversee infonet security processes, including the management of organisation security risks and threats.
This microcredential will give you a foundational understanding of information and network (infonet) security, particularly in organisational infonet security issues.
In this course you’ll gain the knowledge and technical skills to develop, implement and manage infonet security solutions for systems, networks and data, according to industry standards. You’ll also learn how to minimise organisation vulnerabilities and manage infonet security risks and threats.
As part of the course you’ll gain practical experience in applying tools and techniques to defend against infonet threats and attacks, manage risk and maintain a secure business environment.
This credential is particularly suitable for:
- People preparing to enter into the cybersecurity field in the following occupations:
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Cyber Security Architect
- Cyber Security Operations Coordinator
- Penetration Tester
- Cyber Governance and Compliance Specialist
- Cyber Security Advice and Assessment Specialist
- Systems Analyst
- Software and Applications Programmers
To complete this online credential you will need a personal computer (system) that is capable of operating a virtual machine for practical lab activities and have reliable internet access.
Technical / Systems Requirement:
- A multi-core processor with virtualization support
- Minimum RAM: 16GB
- Minimum internal SSD storage: 500 GB
- For those with the latest Apple computer (MAC) that does not use an Intel CPU and is not compatible with VirtualBox, additional software named VMware Fusion may need to be purchased at your own expense.
- You will require Cisco Packet Tracer for some practical lab activities.
By completing this credential you will learn to:
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge and technical skills in infonet security with a focus on organisational infonet security issues.
- Apply foundational knowledge and technical skills to minimise vulnerabilities and manage infonet security risks and threats to organisations.
- Use tools and techniques to defend against infonet threats and attacks, manage risk, and maintain a secure business environment.
- Evaluate infonet security solutions for systems, networks, and data according to industry standards.
Your learning journey includes access to the following 12 online modules.
- Module 1 – Introduction to Information and Network Security
- Module 2 – Data Security Fundamentals
- Module 3 – Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) Fundamentals
- Module 4 – Networking Fundamentals
- Module 5 – Network Security
- Module 6 – Web Application Fundamentals
- Module 7 – Web Application Security
- Module 8 – Introduction to Software Security
- Module 9 – Introduction to Cloud Security
- Module 10 – Introduction to Penetration Testing
- Module 11 – Introduction to Exploit Development
- Module 12 – Introduction to Security Operation
To successfully complete this credential, you need to complete the following assessments:
- Quiz-based assessment - 40%
- Portfolio-based assessment - 60%
School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences
As a cybersecurity group lead, Reza has made significant contributions to enhancing interdisciplinary cybersecurity research and teaching capabilities in Curtin’s School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences. He has extensive experience collaborating with and providing consultancy services to relevant industries and has actively participated in many research and development projects alongside industry partners. He serves as the coordinator for both postgraduate and undergraduate cybersecurity courses and has supervised several research students. His research interests include cyber autonomy, log language processing, and secure quantum systems. He is also interested in connected autonomous vehicles, health technology, critical infrastructure, cloud services, IoT, and robots exploring their cybersecurity implications and developing effective solutions.
School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Dr. Nickson M. Karie is a distinguished senior lecturer in cybersecurity and a seasoned digital forensic professional with a career spanning over 15 years, seamlessly blending academic and industry expertise. He holds a PhD in Computer Science with a specialization in digital forensics from the University of Pretoria in South Africa. Currently, Dr. Nickson M. Karie serves as a senior lecturer at Curtin University. He is renowned for his engaging teaching style, commitment to student development, and staying up to date with emerging trends in the field. Dr. Nickson's contributions to academic research, including numerous scientific papers and book chapters, establish him as an authority in cybersecurity. Simultaneously, in industry roles, he has excelled as a Cybersecurity Technical Training Manager and DFIR Specialist, designing robust security strategies and incident response plans. Dr. Nickson is an advocate for cybersecurity education and awareness, delivering presentations at industry conferences and holding multiple certifications to reflect his dedication to professional growth. His unique blend of academic and industry experience has bridged the gap between theory and practice, making him a leading figure in shaping the future of cybersecurity education and practice.
OffSec is the leading provider of continuous professional and workforce development, training, and education for cybersecurity professionals. Created by the community for the community, OffSec's one-of-a-kind mix of practical, hands-on training and certification programs, virtual labs, and open-source projects provide practitioners with the highly desired offensive skills to get a job, advance their careers and better protect their organizations. OffSec is committed to funding and growing Kali Linux, the leading operating system for penetration testing, ethical hacking, and network security assessments. For more information, visit offsec.com.
Once you successfully complete and pass the final assessment, you'll earn a digital badge that is instantly shareable to your social networks (including LinkedIn) which showcases your new skills and knowledge mastery.
This credential provides foundation knowledge in a discipline and doesn't require previous knowledge.
You will also earn 50 credit points which are in line with Australian Qualification Framework Level 7 criteria, ensuring comprehensive theoretical and/or technical knowledge of the credential. 600 credit points are required to earn a Bachelors Degree at Curtin.
Curtin Credentials focus on five themes, which have been carefully curated based on what's most relevant and valuable to professionals today, and in the future. This credential fits within the following theme:
Thrive and adapt in the changing world of work by developing and broadening your skillset in a range of areas including work design and cognitive flexibility.
Unleash your inner entrepreneur and blend your creativity and problem-solving skills to create valuable new products and services.
*Curtin may cancel or reschedule a credential at any time and for any reason as it sees fit. The Start Date and the other details of this credentials are provided as a general guide only and may change from time to time.
✝This credential involves 300 hours of online resources, readings, activities and assessments. However to pass and earn 50 credit points, you may need to commit further time.
^Learning is done completely online.
§Price subject to change. Please check price at time of purchase.