Full course description
Discover ways to give people with diabetes the best advice to help them to lead a healthier life.
Diabetes is becoming increasingly common, but the condition can be managed with the right diet and physical activity and by minimising stress.
If you're a health professional who wants to help people with the condition, this credential will help you upskill and update your knowledge so you can provide evidence-based information to people with diabetes, and help them adopt a healthier lifestyle.
It covers some of the complicated conditions in diabetes, the impacts on family and friends, how these conditions can be managed, and how to develop a risk management plan.
No pre-requisite requirements are needed to enrol in this credential.
This credential is particularly suitable for:
- Carers and health professionals who work with diabetic patients
- Graduates trained in diabetes, social work, population health, nursing and medicine
By completing this credential you will learn to:
- explain to a person with diabetes the causes, different types and risk factors for diabetes and its impact on individuals and families
- use evidence-based recommendations to advise people with diabetes on improving their eating habits, physical activity and stress management
- recommend ways to limit the physical and psychological impacts of diabetes and develop a risk management plan.
Your learning journey includes access to three online modules.
- Module 1 – A complicated condition
- Module 2 – Diet, physical activity and stress management
- Module 3 – Risk management and healthy living
To successfully complete this credential, you are required to pass a final assessment. To demonstrate what you have learned, you will prepare a script for a role play in which a person with diabetes asks common questions about diabetes. It is important to use evidence-based information in your answers.
Once you successfully complete and pass the final assessment, you'll earn a digital badge that is instantly shareable to your social networks (including LinkedIn) which showcases your new skills and knowledge mastery.
This credential provides foundation knowledge in a discipline and doesn't require previous knowledge.
You will also earn 5 credit points which are in line with Australian Qualification Framework Level 8 criteria, ensuring comprehensive theoretical and/or technical knowledge of the credential.
Curtin Credentials focus on five themes, which have been carefully curated based on what's most relevant and valuable to professionals today, and in the future. This credential fits within the following theme:
Learn skills and strategies to make effective change in your workplace and become a persuasive thought leader in your career.
*Curtin may cancel or reschedule a credential at any time and for any reason as it sees fit. The Start Date and the other details of this credentials are provided as a general guide only and may change from time to time.
✝This credential involves one day of instruction, however to pass and gain five credit points, you will need to commit further time to complete the full set of learning activities including (but not limited to) self-guided study and research, extension readings, activities and the final assessment activity.
^Learning is done completely online.
§Price subject to change. Please check price at time of purchase.